Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Sound of Silence

It's after eight o'clock in the evening. We are watching Star Wars (2 or 5 depending on your geek level). An ice storm rages outside. It's warm under the Lightning McQueen blankie. The baby is sleeping, after having passed out an hour early on daddy's chest. Pappy is going to sleep. And still, it isn't silent. Why? Because it never is.

My five year old never, ever, no, not even then, stops talking. He has comments, questions, illuminations and observations about everything-all the time. While playing he has a running commentary on the action. While eating he is complaining about the food or picking on Pappy. Even while pooping, he has an entire conversation while making little clothes out of toilet paper. (One couldn't make this stuff up if one tried.)

I timed him the other day. It was 1 hour and 45 minutes straight of non stop talking. I kept thinking he would have to pause for respiration. Right? Nope. Maybe my boy is a curious kid/amphibian who can breathe through his eyelids. Who knows?

I never knew what a rare and precious gift silence was until it was wrenched from me by life. I seek it out at every turn. In the car. In the shower. In the bathroom (the only place a mom gets even nominal alone time). Yet, with my super sonic, former teacher, mommy ears I can still hear my husband negotiating with the baby to, "Not pour the popcorn all over the livingroom!!!!!"

Simon and Garfunkle have an ethereal melody, "The Sound of Silence".
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence.

What vision will be planted in my brain when I again have the sound of silence?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Memorable Mama. Remember keep it clean. Keep it Memorable. :)